Monday 6 February 2012

Beginning's of a music addict

Hey folks. Thought I'd start this blog with a little bit about me, and what got me into music in the first place. It was maybe before I started going to high school that I was given 3 Red Hot Chili Peppers albums on cassette tape. They were, The Uplift Mofo Party Plan, Mother's Milk and Blood Sugar Sex Magik.
I started listening to RHCP, and for years they were pretty much ALL I listened to. I got a lot of stick for that from my friends, and rightly so.

Eventually, mostly from borrowing cds from my two older brothers, I started listening to other things. I discovered Nirvana, Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Metallica and many, many others. As it stands today, RHCP are still my all time favourite band, and I discovered Jimi Hendrix, Parliament/Funkadelic, Charlie Parker and others through them. They're what made me want to become a musician. I started learning to play the alto Saxophone when I was in school. But, I learned up to grade 4 level and dropped it. I was bored of it. I was made to play a lot of old boring traditional songs. I didn't want to play the national anthem. I wanted to blast out some fucking John Coltrane, man!
But, a little later, after learning a few chords on my dad's old acoustic guitar, I decided I'd try learning the bass guitar. I wanted to play like Flea! Maybe because I was listening to a lot of funk, with Flea's bass dominating especially the early Pepper's records, I just thought it was way cooler than guitar.

Shortly afterwards, I really got into metal and punk too, but that's another story.... My whole point here is that RHCP and in paritcular their 1991 album Blood Sugar Sex Magik is what made me fall in love with music in the first place. I still listen to that album these days, and last year I decided to get a tattoo of it on my back, seen above.
That picture has been posted all over the web, thanks to the band's fan site posting it to various social networks, and I met some incredible people because of that.

So anyway, that's me. Throughout this blog, hopefully I will introduce some people to some beautiful music and maybe learn some things myself.

I believe that music is essential for living day to day. For me anyway, it has shaped my life, sparked friendships and helped me through bad times. I owe a lot to music. So we'll see where this goes....

1 comment:

  1. That's a great first blog post.

    Can't Stop was the thing that influenced my taste the most as a teenager. The intro riff was like nothing I'd ever heard before. Previously, I'd been listening to mainly my Dad's records - Thin Lizzy, T Rex, Led Zeppelin etc.. but this was fresh and new.
    By The Way and Blood Sugar Sex Magik were pretty much all I listened to consistently through those years, and they still remain my favourite albums due to all the attached memories.

    Who knows what my music taste would be like if Can't Stop had never been released.

    ReplyDelete